Sunday, May 13, 2012

Race Day

(Hey everyone! So sorry it took me so long to get a post up here about Race Day! I've been INSANE with stuff for grad school and kept forgetting that I hadn't posted this! Whoops!)

On the day of the race, we set our alarms for an ungodly hour (3 am) and got ourselves all decked out in our princess gear. Dana had a pink shirt and teal tutu, I had a blue/teal shirt and pink tutu. We donned our tiaras to complete the look - including some leftover glitter in our hair from the expo the day before.

After a "power breakfast" - toast and peanut butter- my mom drove us to Epcot. We got there really early, so it wasn't incredibly crowded yet, but the traffic was getting heavy and there were a lot of people. We took some pictures, danced around to the music from the DJ, visited one of the hundreds of port-o-potties (ew), and then started off for our corral... It was probably a 20 minute walk to our corral!

Once we were in our corral (G), there was not much to do but just stand, wait around, and look at all of the fabulous costumes and shirts around us. Since we were the 7th corral to start, we had to wait about 40 minutes from the time the first fireworks went off (signaling the beginning of the race).


The energy there was amazing. We started the race jogging at a pretty fast clip (for me, at least), and I had to keep telling Dana to slow down, since we didn't want to get ourselves tired out before the end of the race! I had trained with a run-walk-run-walk program, but Dana did a straight jog (my fast walk was pretty much her slowest jogging speed). The miles seemed to breeze by at first! We were so excited to see all of the cool things they had for entertainment, such as characters, a huge pirate ship, lots of music, and people cheering us along! There were plenty of hydration spots, so I never felt thirsty!


 We were SO happy to see the castle! YAY! (This is just before mile 6.)



Neither of us had ever run more than 9 miles before the race... technically that's a no-no according to racing training guides, so we felt we needed to show that we had made it this far!


Even with a stop at the bathroom and a medical stop for me (blisters), it took us just over 3 hours to complete the race. I had trained at a 15 minute/mile pace, so when I found out that my overall pace was 17 seconds/mile faster than I had trained, even with stops... Suffice it to say that I was INSANELY proud of myself and of Dana! Even with the aftermath (I was sore, my foot probably had a stress fracture, and I had blisters), I was determined to get showered and back to the park to get pictures with my hard-earned medal!
The picture above was taken just after the race, right before we got our medals. See the finish line in the background?

All in all, the race was an incredible experience. Dana immediately said that she'd do it again, but I'm not as convinced. Maybe such a long race was a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me... but I have learned to never say never, because if someone had told me that I would have completed a half marathon in 2012, I would have said, "Me? Never..." 
... and as you can see, I clearly conquered that "never" and ran like a girl princess. 

4 comments:

  1. Loved your race report! I can't wait to run the Princess in 2013 and you have made it seem even more real :) If you do it again maybe I'll see you there?! How fun! Great pictures, great running, great job girl... I mean princess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like my race story from this year. I had barely trained for it at all! But after crossing the finish line, I felt amazing! Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on such a wonderful accomplishment! You went, girl!! I am so proud of you!! You certainly shined in that race like the princess you are!
    “…surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses… let us run with endurance the race that is set before us…” Hebrews 12:1
    Much love and kudos to you~

    ReplyDelete